The barn that sits on the property was generously donated to The Liberty Hyde Bailey Museum by Fred and Raphella Americarelli in 1996. It was originally located in downtown South Haven on Broadway near School St. At the current location of the Americarelli Vineyard restaurant.
It was used as a carriage, wagon and blacksmith shop from 1867 through the 1960's. The building was constructed in 1868 by Herrick Hodges, a blacksmith. The business changed hands many times until 1907 when Max Schabbel became a partner in the enterprise. He produced carriages, wagons, sleighs and other items.
The Schabbels eventually became the sole owners and operated the business until the 1960’s when the blacksmith operation closed.